In the past, we have detailed the many benefits of essential fatty acids for pets ranging from fighting inflammation, to helping joints, to supporting against allergies. A number of people have asked if they can use flaxseed to get the same benefit as fish oil. In this article, we compare the two.
Flaxseed Oil for Pets: Pros
Flaxseed oil is a common vegetarian source for Omega-3 fatty acids in dog food and dog treats.
- Flaxseed oil is higher in Omega-3's (ALA) than fish oil
- Flaxseed oil is a vegetarian source for Omega-3
- Flaxseed oil can be a dietary source of soluble fiber which can aid in preventing constipation in dogs and cats
- Flaxseed oil offers minimal benefits for skin and coat
Flaxseed Oil for Dogs: Cons
The Omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil are the inactive form (ALA). In order to convert flaxseed's ALA into a usable form of Omega-3 for a dog, your dog must produce a specific enzyme in the body. Most dogs, like all carnivores, do not produce the enzyme needed to convert flaxseed oil ALA to EPA and DHA. So, the full benefits of flaxseed are not readily available to your dog, though there are other health benefits.
Recommendation: While flaxseed offers some minimal benefits to dogs, is not a suitable sole source of omega-3 for pets. To maximize omega-3 benefits for dogs, we recommend Celavin Omega-3 fish oil, and Dermix™ for Dogs, which contains a blend of plant based EFA.
Allergies: Flaxseed Oil vs Fish Oil
Omega-3 fatty acids are a vital part of a dog's diet, especially for dogs with allergies. The best source of Omega-3 acids, such as EPA and DHA, are from fish oil as flaxseed oil does not seem to have as many available benefits to dogs with inflammatory diseases according to recent research.
Celavin fish oil to allows for flexibility of dosing Omega-3 DHA, and EPA. Celavin is an ideal addition to any wellness regimen and the best possible source for omega-3 essential fatty acids for dogs and cats.
When it comes to getting the most for your buck and providing the best nutrition for your dogs and cats, choose fish oil over flaxseed derived formulas.
Features of Celavin™ you'll like:
- Manufactured in a GMP facility from sardines and other small species fish.
- Produced in Norway in one of the worlds only pharmaceutical-licensed facilities.
- Uses proprietary detoxification technology to remove toxins and odors to ensure pure, clean taste.
- Third-party certified fish oil free of contaminants.
- Contains 740 mg of EPA, 460 mg of DHA, and 200 mg of other Omega-3 fatty acids, guaranteed.
- Money back guarantee.
Barcelo-Coblijn G, et al. Flaxseed oil and fish-oil capsule consumption alters human red blood cell omega-3 fatty acid composition: a multiple-dosing trial comparing 2 sources of omega-3 fatty acid. Am J Clin Nutr, 2008; 88(3): 801-9. Res. 2008 Apr;69(4):486-93. Effects of dietary supplementation with fish oil on in vivo production of inflammatory mediators in clinically normal dogs. LeBlanc CJ, Horohov DW, Bauer JE, Hosgood G, Mauldin GE. Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2005 Apr-Jun;89(3-6):203-7. Essential fatty acids supplementation in different-stage atopic dogs fed on a controlled diet. Abba C, Mussa PP, Vercelli A, Raviri G. Effect of omega-3 fatty acids on serum concentrations of adipokines in healthy cats. Mazaki-Tovi M, Abood SK, Schenck PA. Am J Vet Res. 2011 Sep;72(9):1259-65.