A common cause of UTI is from bacteria, and, once the pet has the infection, they need antibiotics. But, is there a way the infection could be prevented? Which Pets Are Prone to Lower Urinary Tract Problems?
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are a somewhat common problem for dogs and cats. In dogs, UTI can affect just about any breed of dog, but incidences are higher in:
- female dogs,
- older dogs, and,
- dogs with diabetes
In cats: any breed, both genders, and of any age, but is found to be more common in cats between ages 1-4.
Related article: Urinary Tract Infection Causes 101
Simple UTI Prevention Remedy
Often UTI can be a recurring problem, which can be quite frustrating. There is, though, one simple step of prevention we as pet owners can take if we have a pet caught in this cycle; provide them with the nutrition that will help defend against the primary cause of UTI (bacterial infection), and here are the two heavy hitters for prevention:
- Cranberry is clinically proven product used for Urinary Tract Infections (UTI).
- Cranberries are rich in proanthocyanidins, which exhibit a strong anti-adhesion effect.
- This anti-adhesion effect means bacteria are unable to attach and colonize in the urinary tract.
- Cranberry proanthocyanins are easily absorbed by the digestive tract and excreted in the urine.
- D-Mannose is a simple sugar that occurs naturally in some plants.
- In the bladder, D-Mannose can adhere to bacteria preventing them from sticking to the lining of the bladder, ultimately prevented them from colonizing in the urinary tract.
- Because the body utilizes insubstantial amounts of D-Mannose, it does not interfere with blood sugar regulation.
Nusentia® has a nutritional supplement that contains both of these two powerful ingredients in efficacious amounts to provide the defense and support needed for urinary tract health. Utrin® is a natural supplement with both D-mannose and cranberry, offering a powerful defense for healthy urinary function.
Standard Serving Size: 1 scoop (500 g / approx 1/8 tsp)
- D-Mannose 125 mg*
- Cranberry (vaccinium macrocarpon) (Fruit) 125 mg*
- *percent daily values not established
- Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Raw Liver Powder, Silica.
Results: 90% reduction in pathogenic bacteria attachment in the urinary tract We think this is a fantastic, yet underutilized product that people just dont know about. So., we have a great offer on Utrin™ for those who are concerned about UTIs in their pets.