Diarrhea in cats is the passage of loose, unformed stools. Diarrhea is usually accompanied with an increase of volume of the stool and an increase in the number of bowel movements. A rapid transit of food substances through the small intestine to the bowel is the cause of feline diarrhea.
Causes of Cat Diarrhea
A common cause of cat diarrhea can be caused by poor diets which cause food intolerances. Foods that some cats seem unable to tolerate can include beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, spices, corn, wheat, soy, gravies, salts, spices, fats, and some commercial cat foods. Some medications (most antibiotics), can also cause cat diarrhea.
How Do I Stop Cat Diarrhea?
- Generally speaking, the main therapy for cat diarrhea would be to give your cat probiotics such as Probiotic Miracle, which will generally improve food intolerances and other causes of cat diarrhea such as lack of bile, or infection.
- Additionally, look for the following signs below where it would probably be wise to also add a digestive enzyme, such as Enzyme Miracle:
- Weight loss in cat
- Cat's stools are large and gray in appearance or are rancid or foul smelling
- Cat has three or four large stools in a day
- Make sure your cat drinks plenty of water.
- Consider a diet that is low in fat for a period, and parcel the food out in 3 meals for the first two days before switching back to the regular diet.
Natural Treatment for Cat Diarrhea
When your cat has diarrhea, it is a sign that there is a lack of balance in the gut. For this reason, we recommend therapeutic doses of probiotics to restore your cat's natural balance of friendly flora.
1. PROBIOTICS: Give 2-3 times the recommended dosage of Probiotic Miracle for 1 week or until better health appears, then resume normal dosage as a wellness program. Probiotics help to support your cat's immune system and healthy digestion. Probiotic Miracle is guaranteed to be able to pass through the hostile environment of your cat's stomach to seed in the intestine. This benefits your cat against diarrhea and future occurrences of diarrhea.
Learn more about Probiotics »
2. ENZYMES: If your cat is suffering from weight loss, has three or four large stools in a day, or if your cat's stools are large and gray in appearance, then your cat will benefit from an enyzme supplement. We recommend Enzyme Miracle for best results. Add 1 scoop (approx 1/2 tsp) of Enzyme Miracle for evey cup of food you feed your cat.
Learn more about Enzymes »
What's Right for Your Cat? We Can Help.
At Nusentia, our goal is to elevate pet health to human standards and beyond. If you have questions about which products are right for your cat, give us a call or send us your question.
Toll Free (866) 315-2144